- 1 can of tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 onion
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Pinch of pepper
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onion with olive oil for 5 minutes until translucent. Then remove the onion from the pan and puree it together with the tomatoes in a mixer.
- Put the tomato puree, bay leaf, salt, pepper and sugar back into the pan. Let everything simmer at low to medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes until a thick sauce is formed.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in plenty of water with salt al dente.
- Once the sauce has the right consistency, stir in basil and vegan butter. Remove the bay leaf. Leave to stand for 2 – 3 minutes at low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked spaghetti. Mix with the sauce in the pan and serve.
Goes well with
The dish can be finished off nicely with cashew parmesan.
About this recipe
No matter what you call the Italian sauce – Napoli, Marinara or Tomato Sauce – it is always the same principle: sun-ripened tomatoes, fresh basil and good olive oil result in a uniquely balanced taste with a little patience when boiling it down.