- 250 g green jackfruit1
- 100 g oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. paprika powder (smoked)
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp. coconut fat
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Pinch of cumin (ground)
- Salt, pepper, sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash the green jackfruit thoroughly under running water and squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hands. Then pull the jackfruit into small pieces with a fork. Cut the oyster mushrooms lengthwise into even, fine strips.
- Put the jackfruit and oyster mushrooms in a bowl along with the smoked paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper and mix everything together. Then spread it on a baking sheet with baking paper and roast it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Afterwards, cut the onion into rings.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onion with the coconut oil for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Then add the jackfruit and oyster mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in the tomato paste and thyme. Then deglaze with 100 ml of vegetable broth, release the roasting aromas from the bottom of the pan, and then let the liquid boil down completely.
- Once the vegetable broth has boiled away, season with soy sauce, cumin, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and sugar. Then deglaze with the remaining vegetable broth and let it boil down completely one more time.
1 You can buy both yellow (ripe) and green (unripe) jackfruit. For this recipe, it is important to use the green, unripe type. These are usually available preserved in brine or dry.
About this recipe
This Pulled Jackfruit is the basic recipe for terrific burgers, sandwiches or tacos. Only by roasting it in the oven, it creates exactly the meaty taste it needs. Lots of roasted flavors, umami and no own flavor of the jackfruit.